Friday, January 9, 2015

Happy New Year!

In an effort to not point out the obvious, I'm going to avoid the subject of just how long it's been since my last post (*cough* 3 months *cough*).  And let's not talk about how many times I've said that I'm going to post more regularly.  The point is - it's a new year and time for some resolutions.  We'll get to that, but first off, a quick summary of what went on the last few months.

Spring Awakening opened, ran, and closed.  It was another insane tech week (I would say this one rivaled Journey to the West, which is saying something).  But, the show was a blast to call and so fun to watch every night (including the audience - they were a hoot, especially during the sex scene).  The cast and crew were incredible, as they usually are around here.  As per the norm, it was a bittersweet closing.  Perhaps in another blog post, I'll tell some stories about the craziness of opening night and share the few pictures that I took.

After the show closed, I was knitting A LOT.  I still am, in fact.  I had a long list of Christmas knitting to get done (some of which I'm still working on, but that's Ok - the recipients of those presents are quite patient).  Again, I'll summarize that in another blog post as there's way too much to include with this one.  

I really did have time to blog, especially after the show closed, but I just was not feeling it.  But, it's a new year and my interest in blogging has been renewed.  I think part of the problem was feeling pretty down that it's obvious no one is really reading my little journal.  That's just it, though.  It's a journal blog.  I have no knitting advice to give and no patterns to share.  So who else but me really cares?  I just need to keep in mind that this blog is for me so if no one is reading.....so what?  It's great if you are (I'd like that), but that's not the point.  Ok, moving on.

New Year's Resolution time!  I waffle on my opinion of New Year's Resolutions (probably because I tend to fail at them with stunning regularity, but I digress).  However, even if you don't meet them, I think it's great to think about what you'd like to change/do/not do that will make this year better than the last.  So, here we go:
  1. Become a better photographer - I've already started this one off by enrolling in a day long class at the local community college.  I got a new flash for my camera for Christmas that I'm so excited to start using....bringing me to my next resolution...
  2. Take more pictures! - And not just of knitting...I want to get out and take pictures of my dog, of my friends, of my home, of the landscape, whatever.  Last year, I signed up for one of those 365 projects and that was an epic fail, so I'm not going to commit to that.  At least, not this year.  But, in general, more pictures!
  3. Knit a lace shawl - This one is pretty specific.  It was on the list last year, but then I got sort of obsessed with socks (not sure if you noticed).  So, it's back on the list this year.  I have a few beautiful patterns in my queue and I'm excited for this one.  It will have to wait until the Christmas knitting and some other selfish yet necessary cold weather accessories are done.
  4. Design a knitted-something - I got a stitch dictionary for Christmas from my Grandmother (at my request) for exactly this purpose.  I haven't decided what I want to start with here, maybe a scarf?  I really would like to try a pair of socks, but we'll see.
  5. Blog more regularly - I was about to type "once a week", but I think that's setting myself up for failure.  However, I have put a reminder in my calendar for Sunday afternoons to try and help with this goal.  Ideally, I'll post at least every other week.
Well, that's it.  If you're reading this, I hope you had a lovely holiday season surrounded by loved ones and that your 2015 has started off the same way.  And, because every blog post needs a picture or two, I give you some of my favorite pictures from my holiday season (knitting update and pictures next time).

Christmas 2014
My parents' corgi, Maggie

Christmas 2014
My mother putting Christmas presents back under the tree after we had to transplant the fully decorated Christmas tree into a new holder....long story.

Christmas 2014
Christmas morning treats during present-opening.  I was really pleased with the way the bokeh turned out in this one.

Christmas 2014
Santa salt and pepper shakers I put in my Mom's stocking last year - so cute!

Christmas 2014
My Maddie in a Christmas bow!

Christmas 2014
I noticed that our Christmas Tree was being reflected in one of my Mom's presents and thought it would make a fun picture...what do you think?

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Real talk, I actually read your blog. I really appreciate that it isn't full of the inane giveaways/product reviews/sponsor spotlights that more "discovered" blogs are packed with. You might not update very much, but I always know that I'm never going to slapped with you pimping your blog out. I also really appreciate that you're my age and don't have a blog full of stories about your six children, homeschooling, trying to get pregnant again, or the magic of healthy eating for toddlers. I swear that 90% of knitting and quilting blogs have a significant portion of content that is completely unrelatable to me. So keep doing you, and have fun knitting your first lace shawl! I did Ashton from Dee O'Keefe last year, and it was a really great knit (and free!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tessa! Thanks so much for your comment. It's really encouraging to know there's someone out there actually reading it! And thanks for your suggestion on Ashton - I looked it up on Rav and it looks really beautiful. Went straight into my queue!

      Delete