Monday, July 14, 2014

It Starts...

There is going to be a serious lack of knitting pictures in this post as I had no time to take any within the last week.  I suppose I could wait to post anything until I do have some knitting pictures, but I'm starting to feel blog-guilt as I failed to meet my self-imposed schedule of posting once a week.  I may be the only one reading this, but if I don't force myself to stick to my schedule this blog will follow many other started-and-forgotten-about projects into a black hole never to be seen again.

I finished the first of my Down the Rabbit Hole socks and am just about an inch past the cuff ribbing on the second.  They're coming along more slowly than my last few pairs of socks.  With my schedule lately, knitting time has gone from "you have all evening to knit, you'll get these socks done in a week" to "you have maybe an hour to knit if you're lucky and to do that, you need to ignore the dog who has been alone all evening."   This always happens when I'm working on shows -- the only time to knit for more than thirty minutes or an hour is on Saturday.  It's worth it, though.  Knitting is definitely a passion (see blog header), but theatre probably trumps it.  If I go too long without working on a show, I start to feel empty; I was definitely pushing my limit with this last break.

Of course, now that I have significantly less time to knit, I am about to start another project (that makes 3 WIPs total).  So much for that whole monogamous knitter thing, huh?  Remember the Bayside Pullover that I was so smitten with?  Well, it's been sitting untouched for weeks now (at least it's under my glass table where I can see it instead of at the bottom of my knitting basket).  Sadly for Bayside, a newer, sexier summer project caught my eye.  The Sandshore Cardigan by Alicia Plummer was featured on Ravelry, and the moment I saw it, I knew I had to have it.  That sounds exactly what I said about Bayside, I know, but I really really need it this time....really really.  My lustful desire for this cardigan was so strong that I almost immediately forked over a large chunk of money to buy the Quince & Co. Kestrel yarn (yep, in the exact same colorway as shown on the pattern page).  I tried to force myself to wait -- to think about and evaluate whether this was a good decision or not, but there was no resisting the pull.  It got so bad that I was distracted at work.  In the end, I decided to buy the yarn if only to save my job.  (A tad over dramatic maybe, but what do you expect from a theatre geek?)  I checked the package tracking this morning, and the yarn should be in my mailbox by the time I get home from work.   I absolutely can not wait to cast on this gorgeous and very seductive project.  Unfortunately, I'll have to as I won't even have time to wind a skein before I have to head to rehearsal.  But they say anticipation is the best part, so maybe the waiting will just make the cast on even better.

Choreography rehearsals started for Journey to the West last week and regular rehearsals started yesterday.  The choreography rehearsals were especially fun for me as I got to step out of my Stage Manager shoes and into Dancer shoes to stand in for someone who was absent.  It's been a couple of years since I've danced any sort of choreography (I was a dancer for 15 years) and it was just wonderful.  Friday evening was spent taping out the intricate set.  It took us about 3 and a half hours and almost 3 rolls of spike tape.

This is a view of the Stage Right corner - the set is so massive that there was no way I could get the whole thing in one shot.

Last night's rehearsal was blocking at breakneck speed.  For anyone who doesn't know, the Stage Manager is responsible for writing down all movement done on stage, which is called "blocking."  I had a hand cramp by the end of the four hours, and I'm pretty sure all the actors felt like they had just lived through a tornado.  I'm starting to get a sense of just how complex this show is going to be.  It's a bit intimidating, but I love a challenge so bring it on, baby!

My parents came up this last weekend to celebrate my birthday (my actual birthday isn't until Wednesday, though) which ate into my already limited knitting time even more.  But, they're worth it too.  We had a lovely visit, a large part of which was spent finishing up work on my Steampunk-inspired basement.  We hung up a few things, fixed some curtains, and, best of all, got the kegerator working!  Guess who's having a birthday party this Friday!



No comments:

Post a Comment