Thursday, June 12, 2014

Drama Queen

Well, I have no FOs to show this week, unfortunately.  I hoped that I would have Liz's Rainbow Monkey Socks done, but, alas, I am only on the heel flap of the second sock.  I finished the first sock at about 11 PM the night before I flew to California (I really wanted to get it done so I could cut my yarn and rewind it to make my cake smaller and more easily portable).  My cousin's wedding was lovely, despite being stuck outside in 95 degree weather for an hour and a half in a long dress.  My cousin was very handsome and my new cousin-in-law was a gorgeous bride.

My cousin (the Groom) and Me
I got quite a bit of knitting done on the airplane rides while listening to the audiobook of The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (read by Claire Danes).  I have a list called "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die" that I found years ago, and every time I'm not sure what to read I turn to it.  The Handmaid's Tale has been on the top of that list for me for a long time, and I'm enjoying it very much, even if it does make me cringe frequently.

The biggest knitting news I have this week is that I went on a bit of a Webs shopping spree last week.  I needed some circular needles with a 32" cord and 16" cord for my Summer Breeze pullover, so I got those....along with two sets of super cute strawberry stitch markers from Lantern Moon, some DPN stitch holders, and some Knitter's Pride Nova Cubics size 1 DPNs.  The next day, I again fell prey to Webs' marketing emails and saw that they had more Araucania Hurasco in discontinued colors on closeout (yeah, almost 50% off) and I bought 3 hanks.  Below, I have tried to capture the total damage.  My sock yarn stash is starting to get a bit out of control...maybe I'll just put these new hanks in a vase on my dining room table like some kind of knitter modern art.  That makes sense, right?


This week's exciting news has to do with my theater life rather than my knitting life.  Anyone who has been involved with theater knows that a theater community, be it large or small, usually ends up being an incestuous dating pool.  It's like an episode of Dawson's Creek -- everyone dates everyone else.  That's just the way it goes; we're all around each other all the time and, frequently, we're the only people we hang out with.  I won't go into details or mention names in the off chance that any of the involved parties ever reads this.  Let's just say that because of this everyone-dates-everyone business, the proverbial s*** hit the fan this past Tuesday in regards to Journey to the West.  I can't go into much more detail at the moment because there are still conversations happening (I think).  Once the situation is resolved (or as resolved as it's going to get) perhaps I'll go into more detail.

I suppose I should end that vague little anecdote with a lesson learned, but really, there is no lesson to be learned here.  That's the way theater works.  I suppose, if anything, the lesson to be learned is that even though everyone dates everyone, everyone also needs to be careful of everyone's feelings and tread lightly.  But, theater is full of dramatic people (duh), and every so often this sort of thing is going to happen.  Hopefully, after a few days, everyone will cool down, and we can all move on in our happy little, albeit dysfunctional, theater family.


No comments:

Post a Comment